Are you ready to add a touch of elegance to your jewelry collection? A DIY Gold Leaf Bracelet is the perfect accessory to give your outfit that extra sparkle.
In this tutorial, I will show you how to create a stunning gold leaf bracelet using Gelli Plate prints and a plain bangle. This project is not only fun and creative but also a great way to showcase your personal style.
Transform thrift shop bracelets with delightful gelli plate prints on rice paper. Learn how to add gold leaf to your gelli plate prints with this step by step tutorial or follow my youtube video.
If you are new to gelli plate printing check out my how to start gelli printing post.
DIY Gold Leaf Bracelet
Materials for your gold leaf Gelli plate print:
- Plain bangles
- Gelli Plate
- Acrylic paints in your choice of colors
- Brayer or paintbrush
- Rice Paper
- Gold leaf flakes (or you could rip up a sheet of gold leaf)
- Liquitex Matt Medium
- Foam brush
- Adhesive – Mod Podge
Step 1: Prepare Your Workspace
Lay down a craft paper or a plastic sheet to protect your workspace. Gelli Plate printing can get a little messy, so this step is crucial to avoid unwanted paint stains. I Like to wear an apron too, to protect my clothes from acrylic paint.
Step 2: Create Gelli Plate Prints
- Choose your Gelli Plate size and colors: Select a Gelli Plate size that fits the bangle’s surface. Apply a thin layer of acrylic paint to the Gelli Plate using a brayer or a paintbrush. You can use one or multiple colors for a layered effect.
- Crumple up your rice paper and unfold.
- Place the rice paper onto the gelli plate, and slowly peel off taking care not to rip the paper.
Step 3: Apply gold leaf flakes to the gelli plate
- Scatter gold leaf flecks across the gelli plate, press into the plate using a kitchen spatula.
- Apply a layer of Liquitex Matt Medium with a brayer.
- Place your rice paper over the plate and brayer over the back to press into the plate.
- Allow the paper on the Gelli Plate to dry completely. The dry time may be a few hours or overnight, depending on the thickness of the paint. Carefully peel off.
- You may have some gold leaf left on the plate, you can repeat the process for a second print if you wish, before cleaning the gelli plate.
Step 4: Apply Paper to Bracelet
- Measure the width of your bangle, add 3/8″ (1ccm) on either side and cut out a strip of your gelli-plated printed paper
- Apply Mod Podge to the outside of the bangle. Carefully press the paper all around, then apply Mod Podge to the inside and fold in the excess paper.
- Once dry apply a second strip of printed paper to the inside of the bangle.
- Apply a sealer like varnish or Mod Podge over the gold leaf to protect it and give it a shiny finish. Let it dry thoroughly.
Creating your own DIY Gold Leaf Bracelet using Gelli Plate prints is a wonderful way to express your creativity and style. This project allows you to personalize a plain bangle and turn it into a stunning piece of jewelry.
Whether you choose vibrant colors or subtle designs, your finished gold leaf bracelets are sure to make a statement and become a conversation piece.